Literacy Law & ACAP
What is the ACAP?
The ACAP Summative will be administered to grades 2-8, once a year, in the spring, starting in spring 2020.
- The assessment will be administered 100% online, with the exception of the documented need for paper assessments.
- Test items will be aligned to the Alabama Courses of Study.
- Visit the Alabama State Department Website for resources and information.
- The content areas to be addressed are
- Math (2nd-8th)
- English/language arts (2nd-8th)
- Science (4th, 6th, & 8th grades).
- The Grade 2 assessment will not be used for measuring achievement, but will serve as a baseline for 3rd grade growth.
- The writing assessment will be administered to students in grades 4-8 and will comprise a text-dependent analysis in order to develop a comprehensive, holistic essay response. The demand required of a student's reading and writing skills in response to a text-dependent analysis prompt is similar to the demands required for a student to be college -and -career ready.
DRC Online Tools (ACAP Training Tools)
Data Recognition Corporation (DRC), ALSDE's testing vendor, has provided a training environment called the Online Tools Training to help students learn about the online testing system and familiarize themselves with the user interface in advance of testing.
- Students can access the OTT as often as needed or desired, either in the classroom or from home.
- The OTT allows students to experience the same testing interface they will encounter during operational testing and to experiment with the features and tools that will be available during an actual test. As students move through the OTT practice items, grade-appropriate directions orient them on how to navigate through the items and use the tools.
- The OTT runs on a standard Google Chrome web browser and can be accessed by students and parents outside of the school environment as well.
To access the online practice tests:
- Click the link above
- Click ACAP Summative Online Training Tools
- Choose your child's grade level
- Choose a SUBJECT: English Language Arts OR Mathematics
- Use the provided username and password to sign into the practice test
- Click through several screens with instructions, test security guidelines, and helpful hints about testing. These screens are included so that students can have an authentic practice experience. The guidelines and instructions, however, do NOT have to be followed in this practice experience as they would be in an actual test session.
- Have your child practice using the testing program and responding to the questions. On-screen practice hints within each item guide students to practice with specific tools and features of the online test. (Note: These hints do not appear in a live test administration)
To access the tutorial videos
- Click the link above
- Click ACAP Summative Online Assessment Tutorial
- Click start here
- Select videos on the left side of the screen
- Watch and discuss the videos with your children